Way back in the fall of 2010 I started crocheting a blanket for Ryan. His mom had started a blanket that would match the new couch and, after watching her crochet, I asked her to teach me. It was pretty easy considering I had previously had almost no experience crocheting. She taught me the/an afghan stitch (I’m not sure if there’s more that one kind of afghan stitch). Ryan picked out the colors to match his room; black, white, gray, and red. I made many squares with a yarn that changed colors between black, white and gray. We decided each square would get a border of red before all the squares were attached. To learn to make the border I asked Ryan’s mom and she taught me because she’s awesome like that! After making 49 bordered squares I attached them all in a large 7 x7 square blanket. It was lovely, but it was not as large as we had hoped it would be.
And that is why I have gone back to making and bordering squares in my spare time. In the past couple weeks I’ve completed 9 squares and I only need 6 more.
Here’s what it looks like: